System/Software Engineer V or VI / Senior Software Design Engineer
Houston, TX 77070
Job Description – System/Software Engineer V or VI (Virtualized/Container Solutions)
Senior Software Design Engineer
At HPE we bring together the brightest minds to create breakthrough technology solutions that advance the way people live and work. We see a future for our customers that will be edge-centric, cloud-enabled and data-driven. To help lead HPE into this future, the Enterprise Solutions and Performance (ESP) Virtualization solution team is looking for an experienced software and system engineer to drive design and development of virtualized and containerized integrated systems and tools.
As a solution based system and software engineer, you will be responsible for designing, developing and debugging complex integrated systems and related software tools to ensure a high quality integrated platform which our customers can run their virtualized and/or containerized applications without worrying about the underlying infrastructure. You will also be responsible for automating the deployment of software stacks, operating systems, container platforms, lifecycle and management tools for each solution. The role is multi-disciplinary, requiring a strong system and development background as well the ability to work directly with team members around the globe. The candidate will need systems expertise and experience with multiple HPE server, storage and networking technologies, expertise and experience with Python, Java, and scripting environments such as Ansible, the virtualization and containerization technologies such as VMware vSphere, VMware Cloud Foundation and Kubernetes.
• Implementing complex virtualized and containerize systems from multiple components (server, storage, networking, software)
• Analyzes design and determines coding, programming, and integration activities required based on general objectives and knowledge of overall architecture of product or solution.
• Writes and executes complete testing plans, protocols, and documentation for assigned portion of system testing; identifies and debugs and creates solutions for issues with code and integration into application architecture.
• Leads a project team of other system and software engineers and internal development partners to develop reliable, cost effective and high-quality solutions
• Collaborates and communicates with management, architects and internal development partners regarding systems design status, project progress, and issue resolution.
• Represents the solution engineering team for all phases of larger and more-complex projects. Provides guidance and mentoring to less- experienced staff members.
• Presentation to external customer and participation in customer and industry events where applicable
The sections below help differentiate between levels to enable consistency.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor's or master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or equivalent.
• Typically, 4-6 years experience.
Knowledge and Skills:
• Expertise in multiple virtualization and containerization system (VMware, Kubernetes)
• Expertise in multiple software systems tools and languages (Python, PowerShell, Java)
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Designing and integrating systems running on multiple platform types into overall architecture.
• Complex system/solution testing methodology, including writing and execution of test plans, debugging, and testing scripts and tools.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills; mastery in English and local language. Ability to effectively communicate product architectures, design proposals and negotiate options at management levels.
• Working knowledge and practice in the Agile development framework is plus
• Collaborates with peers, junior engineers, technicians and external design partners.
• Typically interacts with high-level Individual Contributors, Managers and Program Core Teams.
• Leads one or multiple project requiring solution development.
• Drives design innovation.